So I wanted to go a little more in depth on what it takes to make a handmade piece of furniture from pallets. Most of the other things I have seen on the web that had been built from pallets was missing one of the most important steps in the process to me. They don't really refine the wood to make it beautiful. They take it splinters and all just the way it is and build something out of it. That is not what we aim to do. We want to build a piece of furniture that you would be as proud to show off as any other piece in your home. Here is a simple break down of the basic steps involved with this build. This project started with a big pile of old oak pallets. The first step required only plyers, a hammer, and a crowbar. Let the deconstruction begin. It figuratively took forever to take them apart without breaking them. The messy aftermath of ripping out nails and the stack of boards I was able to salvage after several hours. I decided to come up with a quick sketch of what I hoped to build. After I had the idea on paper, I started running some boards through the planer. The wood was already turning out beautifully. Before and after shots of some newly planed wood. A closer look shows how nice it is all starting to look. For some pieces I clamped several boards together before running them through the planer. Glued several of the planed boards together and clamped them. We have legs! After planing for several more hours I picked out the prettiest pieces for the desktop. Starting to get the frame put together. Legs are on and grooves are cut for the cross pieces. Then I fit the side pieces in to give it some strength. The top is still just strapped on for now. One by one getting the top glued in and clamped down. Built some make shift clamp extenders to help keep everything held down while it dried. Got some of the skirting details put in to add some more strength. After I got everything clamped down I had some ugly edges due to using imperfect pieces of wood. Took a little risk and used a router to clean up the ugly gaps, then I inlayed a small piece of oak. Looks like I meant it to be that way. Next up is a ton of sanding. Like the most sanding ever. Here it is all sanded and ready for stain! I hope you guys enjoyed a little behind the scenes look! We should have some really nice photos of the finished piece up sometime this week!